- Use a double quotation to set off a direct quote or speech.
- Single quotes indicate emphasis or sarcasm.
- Periods, commas semi-colons, colons, question marks, exclamation points and dashes always go outside the quotation marks -- EXCEPT when the punctuation is a part of the direct quote.\
- Always capitalize the first word in a complete quotation, even if it starts mid-sentence.\
- Quotation marks are used for terms not commonly used or used in an uncommon way from standard use; as in technical terms or odd expressions.
- Quotation marks are not just for indicating a direct quote or speech. They are also used when signaling a component of a larger piece; such as a chapter of a book, individual episodes of a television series, songs from a specific body of work, and title of shorter works such as articles, essays, short stories, and poems.
Whether you are doing 'air quotes' or actually writing them, Transcription Plus, LLC can help you appear more professional in your reports. Not only does our staff have impressive grammar skills, we have specialists that understand your field. This saves our customers from embarrassing errors. Contact us here for additional information.
Mary A. Goehring
Transcription Plus, LLC