From being on every box of cigarettes sold to advising Americans on health practices, the Surgeon General holds a lot of influence over the public. Additionally, the Surgeon General supervises almost 7,000 members of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, which can be deployed in a health emergency and reports to the Assistant Secretary of Health.
Dr. Vivek Murthy became the new Surgeon General after a highly controversial vote on December 15, 2014. The close vote, 51-43, was affected by opposition by the NRA regarding Murthy's strong stance on gun control since the Sandy Hook shooting. Murthy also takes a stance on obesity, mental health, smoking, and health care delivery.
Some facts you need to know about Vivek Murthy:
· At 37 years old, he is the youngest Surgeon General in history.
· Murthy was born in England to immigrants from India. He moved to Miami when he was three.
· He was valedictorian of his high school, graduated Magna cum laude from Harvard, and earned his medical degree at Yale University.
· He completed his residence at the renowned Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, where he trained hundreds of upcoming doctors.
· He practices yoga every day.
· While he was at Harvard, Murthy co-founded VISIONS Worldwide, a philanthropic group that focuses on HIV education.
· He also co-founded Swasthya Community Health Partnership to help rural female Indians become health care providers.
· He is co-founder and chairman of TrialNetworks, a cloud-based Clinical Trial Optimization System, which improves the quality and efficiency of clinical trials to bring new drugs to market faster and more safely.
· He co-founded Doctors for America, an organization of over 15, 000 doctors focused on universal health care.
President Obama noted, "As 'America's Doctor,' Vivek will hit the ground running to make sure every American has the information they need to keep themselves and their families safe. He'll bring his lifetime of experience promoting public health to bear on priorities ranging from stopping new diseases to helping our kids grow up healthy and strong,"
Transcription Plus, LLC is always keeping abreast of changes made in health care. We can help your practice with these changes. Contact us here for additional information on how we can help you in this new era.
Mary A. Goehring
Transcription Plus, LLC
40 Acorn Lane
Bristol, CT 06010
Phone: (860) 583-2818
Visit our web site: www.transcriptionplus.net
Visit our social media sites:
Photo courtesy of theaerogram.com: http://theaerogram.com/everything-wanted-know-surgeon-general-nominee-vivek-murthy-lazy-google/